February 28, 2018 – Waterloo, Ontario
The Government of Canada is building on its successful long-term plan that focuses on people and on the things that matter most to Canadians.
Providing all Canadians with opportunities to participate fully in the economy is not only the right thing to do but also the smart thing to do, and it will lead to stronger growth for the middle class and those working hard to join it.
Now is the right time to build an economy that truly reflects the diversity of our country, where all Canadians can contribute to—and share in—Canada’s prosperity.
Today, the Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, was in Waterloo to highlight Budget 2018, Equality + Growth: A Strong Middle Class, the Government’s people-centred plan to strengthen the middle class and support economic growth.
Minister Bains spoke to students at Wilfrid Laurier University and discussed how the Government is making new investments through Budget 2018 that ensure every Canadian has an equal chance at success.
Through Budget 2018, the Government will:
- make significant progress toward equality by supporting equal parenting, addressing the gender wage gap, taking action against gender-based violence and introducing a new Women Entrepreneurship Strategy;
- put more money in the pockets of those who need it the most by improving access to the Canada Child Benefit and introducing the new Canada Workers Benefit (a strengthened version of the Working Income Tax Benefit);
- support science and innovation by renewing the Government’s commitment to the next generation of research and researchers, providing record investments for researchers and equipment, and reforming business innovation programs to make it easier for Canadian businesses to get the information and support they need to succeed at home and abroad; and
- advance reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples by investing to close the gap between the living conditions of Indigenous and non-Indigenous people, ensuring First Nations children are safe within their communities, and supporting the recognition of rights and self determination.
By building on the Government’s plans to invest in the middle class, Budget 2018 takes additional significant steps to ensure everyone has the opportunity to fully participate in the Canadian economy, leading to economic growth that works for all.
“It’s time to build an economy that truly reflects the values we share as Canadians. Together, we can create an economy that works for all of us and a country where differences are recognized not as a barrier to success but as a source of strength, and where we all have the same opportunity to succeed.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development